Inclusion on the population register

The population register is a document that shows the addresses of the inhabitants of a town or city. As the administrative body that deals most closely with citizens, the town or city council needs to have details of the people who live in its municipal area. The offices run by your town or city council will provide you with a certificate of inclusion on the population register (Certificat d'empadronament), which confirms that you live in the municipal area. The certificate in question is important, as it guarantees you access to most public and social services.

You must inform your town or city council whenever you change your address. If you move to a different town or city, you must sign up for inclusion on the population register in your new place of residence.

Even if you do not have a residency permit, you must sign up for inclusion on the population register of the town or city in which you live.

Where to apply for a certificate of inclusion on the population register: at the town or city council's citizen services office(Oficina d'Atenció Ciutadana or OAC) .

Who should apply: the person who requires the certificate. That person must be an adult and should apply on behalf of all the members of their family who live at the same address.

Required documentation: an identity document and your family book (if you have one). As proof of your address, you will be asked for your rental contract (which must be no more than 5 years old) or the deeds of your apartment, your most recent rent receipt and your most recent gas, water or electricity bill.

(Els subministraments)

Once you are responsible for a home, you will need to activate its water, electricity and gas supplies.

If someone else was living in your home before your arrival, the meters will almost certainly have been activated and you will simply need to change the corresponding contracts so that you appear as their holder. If your home has been unoccupied for a while, the former tenants or the owner may have had the meters deactivated, in which case you will need to reactivate them. You can carry out the procedures in question by telephone or via the internet. Alternatively, you can go to the supply centres closest to your home. You will need to pay to activate your meters.

In the case of your gas supply, you will need to find out whether your home uses mains gas (Gas ciutat) or butane (Gas butà) . Check that the kitchen and the place where the boiler is located have the necessary safety vents and that all the required safety inspections have been carried out on your systems.

You must make your payments for supplies on time. You can make payments by direct debit from a bank account or in cash within a period specified in the bills that will regularly be sent to your home.

If you fail to make a payment on time, you will normally be sent a notification and an extra charge may be applied if you do not pay before the new deadline established. If you still do not pay your bill after receiving a notification, your supply may be cut off. If that happens, you will need to have it reconnected and must consequently pay the fees that doing so involves. You can make cash payments in a number of banks and building societies, as well as in post offices.