COMPULSORY SECONDARY EDUCATION

EDUCACIÓ SECUNDÀRIA OBLIGATÒRIA O ESO

Compulsory secondary education (Educació Secundària Obligatòria or ESO) is for youngsters aged 12 to 16 and is taught at secondary schools (Instituts d’Educació Secundària or IES).

During this phase of the education process, pupils are provided with knowledge that contributes to their independence and social integration, and their personal development is reinford.

In compulsory secondary education, subjects are organised on the basis of credits (crèdits) . A credit is a curriculum unit that generally lasts a term. Each curriculum unit corresponds to part of the content of each subject. 65% of credits are compulsory and the same for all pupils. The remaining 35% are variable, and each pupil can choose them in line with their preferences. At the end of an academic year, pupils have to take a review credit, consisting of a number of activities designed to check whether the learning targets of the various areas of the curriculum have been met.